At Palm Desert Resuscitation Education LLC (PDRE), we always strive to teach “universal precautions” to prevent any contamination and spread of infectious diseases in-hospital and out-of-hospital.
One way to decrease or minimize contamination and spread of germs and other harmful diseases and medical conditions is to properly dispose of sharp medical devices, including items hypodermic needles, syringes, lancets, and pen needles. Whether these sharp medical devices are contaminated with bio-hazardous waste or not, sharps must be properly disposed of in special containers that prevent re-contamination and/or need stick punctures and handled as hazardous waste.
There is a public health risk for communities where sharp disposal is not a priority, which improperly discarded needles leads to community health vulnerabilities and the spread of infectious diseases.
Palm Desert Locations for Sharp Disposals
- Pharmacy Program: There are locations where local residents can get free Sharp Disposal by Mail container (quantity of 3/year for every resident or household with a proof of residency in the form of a driver’s license or California ID), which can be utilized as a vessel for used sharps. Once the Sharp Disposal is completely full and sealed, it can be mailed for safe disposal.
- CVS (42155 Washington)
- Fireside Compounding Pharmacy (73847 Highway 111)
- La Quinta Pharmacy (43875 Washington Street)
- Palm Desert Drugs (73261 Hwy 111)
- Rite-Aid (72875 Highway 111)
- Rite-Aid (74958 Country Club Drive)
- Sav-On/Albertsons (74590 Highway 111)
- Target (72549 Highway 111)
- Town Center Compounding Pharmacy (72624 El Paseo)
- Walgreens (44830 Monterey)
- Curbside Program: The Curbside Program allows residents of single-family homes (apartment and multifamily residents are considered not eligible) may be able to pick up free sharps disposal containers from Burrtec’s Recycle Center located at 41800 Corporate Way (behind the Hovley Post Office in Palm Desert). Once the container is full, residents can call Burrtec’s Recycle Center at (760) 340-2113 to schedule a curbside pickup, and upon request, Burrtec’s Recycle Center will leave a complimentary free empty collection container. Residents can coordinate up to four free pickups per year.
- Note: Residents can also place sharps safely and securely into hard thick plastic containers (such as used, but cleaned orange juice, detergent, or vegetable oil bottles – not thinner plastic such as milk jugs) and call for Burrtec’s Recycle Center to schedule a curbside pickup.
For more information, please visit the following City of Palm Desert website: http://www.cityofpalmdesert.org/departments/special-programs/solid-waste-and-recycling-services/sharps-disposal